4226 South Gold
Wichita, KS 67217
- NO PETS allowed in Recreation Area.
- Only service animals will be allowed. Emotional / support / therapy or protection animals are not considered service animals and are not allowed
- Littering is prohibited.
- Firearms and dangerous weapons are not allowed on the Association property; these include, but are not limited to: rifle, shotgun, pistol, or other firearm; spear; bow or crossbow; slingshot; air or gas powered weapons; and other dangerous weapon. Except for those who have a CCL (conceal carry license) license. If someone has a concealed license issued by the state of Kansas or recognized by the State of Kansas, the Association will follow the direction of the state. However, if at any time while on the Association property, that customer’s concealed weapon becomes visible to the Association associates or customers, the Association reserves the right to ask the customer to remove the weapon completely or to leave the Association property. No open carry of firearms or bows allowed .
- Fires in approved containers only.
- No illegal drugs.
- alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content greater than 6% by volume are prohibited from the Recreation Area. NO kegs or glass bottles are allowed.
- No public intoxication tolerated.
- No abusive behavior tolerated.
- Speed limit 10 M.P.H.
- All users must register upon entering the Association lake.
- No swimming or wading allowed in lake.
- Group meetings, rallies, or organized gatherings must obtain prior permission to use the Recreation Area.
- No person may obstruct the Association employees carrying out their designated duties or obstruct members and their guests from using the Recreation Area in any legal manner.
- No person may use the Recreation Area to engage in the following activities:
- Use or possession of fireworks.
- Drive, chip, hit, play or practice golf.
- Operate self-propelled model airplanes, boats, autos, drones, etc.
- Throw, release or discharge missiles, rockets, or similar projectiles
- Electric or motorized personal recreational equipment such ATV’s, golf cart, scooters etc. are not allowed.
- Hang-glide or parachute.
- Engage in any activity or operate any device recklessly or dangerously.
- No person may reserve an activity site without first paying the required fee.
- No person may abandon any mammal or fish in the Recreation Area.
- All members, family members, guest, and others must enter by the Gold street gate and register daily.
- Management may close any area to ensure safety.
- Management may regulate noise levels.
- No person may go onto the peninsula (island) without management approval.
- RULES/GUIDELINES FOR USING METAL DETECTORS AT THE SBEA LAKE
- A member will be allowed 24 free guests in one calendar year. The backside of the member’s card will be used to record guests by deleting the appropriate number of guests from the 24 numbers on the back. If the member or spouse of the member leaves, the guest must also leave.
- Guests in excess of the allocated 24 will be admitted in the company of a member by paying the published guest fee.
- A guest may NOT use the facility without the presence of the member or the member’s spouse.
- The spouse must present the member’s card in addition to the family card in order to bring guests into the Association Lake free of charge. The member’s card will be punched. or
- The applicable guest fee may be paid.
- Dependents, ages 18-21, may bring in one guest per day. They must have their family card and the member’s card, which will be punched or pay the applicable guest fee.
- Dependent 14 thru 17 may have a dependent card and be on the property without adult supervision, but may NOT bring in guests.
- Children 13 years and under must have adult supervision. Adult = 18 years of age.
- Grandchildren (ages 18 years of age and younger) of a member will be admitted as a family member. The member must accompany grandchildren under the age of 14 and stay with them. If the member leaves, so must the grandchildren. No fee is required. At age 19 grandchildren are considered guest and must adhere to the guest’s policies.
- At the age of 21, dependents are no longer allowed to come in on their parent’s card; they must adhere to guest policies.
- Retirees: Entry, privileges and restrictions are same as employed member, as long as the retiree membership fee has been paid. Card is same as employed members except that RETIREE appears on the front; their membership number will be there driver license with an expiration date. Immediate dependent family members of retiree must have Family Card with their name on it. ($50.00 per yr). Newsletter $10.00 per yr.
- Honorary Members: Upon presentation of card, will be permitted access to the Association store only.
- Lifetime Members: Entry, privileges and restrictions are the same as employed member with the exception that Lifetime members do not pay dues.Card is metal and gold in color. Lifetime Membership is printed on it.
- Widow or Widower: Entry, privileges and restrictions are same as employed member. Card is same as employed members except that WIDOW or WIDOWER appears on the front and an expiration date. Immediate dependant family members of the widow or widower must have Family Card with their name on it.
- Affiliate: Entry and use of the Recreation Area are the same rules that apply to the Association member.
- Vendors: May enter if they are on business only; no recreational use is allowed.
- Handicapped Dependent: Handicapped dependents of members, over the age of 21 years, may receive Family Cards at the office administrative office after Board approval.
Ages 14 & over = $3.00 per visit
Ages 5 – 13 = $1.00 per visit
Ages 4 & under = Free
- Maximum two (2) fishing poles per angler.**
- Maximum two (2) single hooks per line.
- Maximum two (2) treble hooks per line.
- Maximum two (2) artificial lures, plugs or flies per line.
- No snagging.
- No baiting an area (chumming).
- No trot or bank lines.
- No netting, seining or wading (no floats).
- No fishing by spear gun, gig spear, bow, or trap.
- No unattended poles.
- The following may NOT be used as bait; goldfish, corn, white perch and carp.
- Kansas fishing license is NOT required.
- Access to Peninsula and buoyed areas are prohibited except with management approval.
- Members and guests who have a pavilion rented may fish during hours of the reserved time.
- Fish cleaning is allowed at the fish cleaning station ONLY. Do not put fish or remains in trash cans. Fish cleaning station closes ½ hour before closing time.
- Management and/or Park Rangers reserve the right to survey fishermen and inspect creel.
- All anglers must register when entering the park (and each day if camping).
- Game fish may not be destroyed, except with prior management approval.
- No taking of minnows or bait fish from the lake.
- Fishing is limited to SBEA members, their families and guests.
- Daily fish limits and sizes are controlled and posted by Recreation Area management.
- If a member gives you a fish, that fish will become part of your creel count.
- Fishing docks:
- No more than 6 people on the docks at one time.
- No fires or camping stoves on the docks.
- No tents, sleeping bags or camping on the docks.
- No rocks/litter on the docks.
- Availability of the docks is on a first come first serve basis.
- The handicapped have priority use of the handicap-designated docks.
- Young children should not be left unattended on a dock or at lake.
- When you leave a dock, you must take your belongings. Docks can not be saved. Unattended articles will be removed and taken to the lake store for pick up by the member.
- No fishing on the ice.
- Anglers are restricted to using wild caught bait fish only in the lake where it was caught. (KDWP regulation).
FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THE RULES MAY RESULT IN YOU BEING ASKED TO LEAVE THE PROPERTY OR MAY BE GROUNDS FOR SUSPENSION OR REVOCATION OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP.
** $1.00 Surcharge for 3rd pole per visit. – Permit is good for 24 hours from time purchased as long as lake is open.**
Support your SBEA and shop in our lake store for all your needs. Special ordering now available.
|Species||Lengths Limits||Daily Limits|
|Perch||Not more than 12 of any kind|
|Red Ear Sunfish
|All Trout||4 per person/per day|
|Bass under 12′ or over 15″ must be returned to the lake|
* This applies to Largemouth, Smallmouth and Kentucky (spotted) Bass.
The daily creel restrictions are set to improve and maintain the special quality of this fishery. Creels are individual creels, not group creel. Fish must be kept in a basket or on a stringer, in the water.
The daily creel limit is all you may in your basket/stringer. When the lake is open overnight, there is a 2 day limit of creel in your basket/stringer.
Violators will lose their creel and will be asked to leave for the day. Repeat offenders will have their membership suspended or revoked.
Management has the right to specify certain dates for catch and release only. This is done sometimes to ensure the quality of this fishery.
Please anglers, dispose of all bait containers in the trash receptacles provided. Remove any unused bait when you leave. Empty containers blow into the lake and cause a litter problem. We need your help to keep the lake as clean as possible.
Do not release live bait, including worms, minnows, or crayfish, into the water.
We have a heated/air conditioned enclosed pavilion for rent. Check with the office (316-522-2996) for available dates and costs.
Failure to comply with a ranger’s instructions or directions will result in a citation and incident report being written. Disrespect or abuse of any SBEA staff will result in a citation/incident report being written.
SBEA has a few 12′ to 14′ fishing boats available for rent. Guidelines for fishing boat rentals:
- Rental Fees: $2.00 per person/per hour. A Driver’s License will be collected to ensure all life jackets are returned and litter is removed from the boat.
- Rental Time: 1 hour minimum, 4 hour maximum.
- Rental Hours: Boats will be available for rent 1 hour after sunrise to 1 hour prior to sunset.
- Maximum number of people in a boat will depend on the boat weight limit. You must stay seated while in the rental boats.
- No one under the age of 16 without an adult. Adult = 18 and older.
- No gas motors. Trolling motor & battery permissible. (SBEA has trolling motors for rent with rental boats).
- Boats must not interfere with bank and dock anglers and must stay out of buoyed areas.
- All fishing rules and USCG rules apply.
- Boats must be returned to rental dock; equipment must be checked into the ranger.
When you rent a boat you will have the option of a trolling motor or a set of oars. If you choose a trolling motor you will be required to leave a $20 deposit. You may do a payroll deduction for the deposit and then when you bring the motor back we will check the motor and if everything is okay we will refund your deposit or tear up the payroll deduction.
- Rental Fees: $1.00 per person/per 30 minutes. .50¢( cents) per person for the next 1/2 hour. Any portion of that 1/2 hr. used, member pays for full 1/2 hour per person. Any portion of that 1/2 hour used, member pays for full 1/2 hour per person. A driver’s license will be held to ensure return of life jackets and litter is removed from the boat.
- Rental Time: 1 hour maximum.
- Rental days and times will vary, depending on the season and personnel; check in the bait shop to see if boats are available.
- No one under the age of 14 without an adult. Adult = 18 years or older.
- 4 people maximum unless exceeds weight limit of 500 lbs.
- People will load and unload at a designated spot and must be kept within a designated area while on the water.
- No fishing from the boats. You must stay seated while in the rental boats.
- Persons must adhere to boating rules.
- Paddle boats must stay on west side of lake.
The following rules apply to fishing boats and paddle boats:
- In case of high wind advisories, boats WILL NOT be rented.
- If necessary to ask a member to dock a boat because of an increase in wind, a refund will be given.
- Life jackets must be in the boat. Anyone under 14 years of age must be wearing a life jacket. If you do not have life jackets, SBEA will provide them at no extra charge.
- No alcohol allowed in boats.
- No standing, rocking or horseplay in boats.
- ABSOLUTELY no litter to be put in the lake.
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE ABOVE RULES WILL RESULT IN NO FUTURE RENTAL PRIVILEGES AND /OR GROUNDS FOR SUSPENSION OR REVOCATION OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP.
- All U.S.C.G. regulations apply.
- All boats must be checked in with ranger for control of zebra mussels.
- No boat permits required.
- All inflatable must contain at least three (3) separate air chambers.
- Only electric trolling motors and/or oars/paddles are allowed.
- Boats may only be operated between the hours of sunrise and sunset.
- Each boat must have one (1) USCG approved type I, II or III PFD (personal floating device) on board for each passenger.
- No boats in buoyed areas.
- Minors under 16 may not operate vessels without prior management approval.
- Boaters must avoid bank anglers’ lines.
- Boats may only be launched and removed at boat ramp.
- All vessels must have 1 paddle or oar.
- Ranger has the right to refuse anyone the right to launch a boat based on wind advisories, boat regulations and safety etc.
- No float tubes or waders.
- Ranger has the right to refuse to allow you to put your boat on the water if he thinks you are intoxicated.
- No boats left in water or on banks overnight.
- If a boat requires that feet must dangle in the water, the boater must be wearing a life jacket.
- No person may operate a boat in a reckless or negligent manner.
- The number of passengers in a boat may not exceed the manufacturer’s specified capacity or USCG rules.
- The Board may revoke or suspend the boating privileges of any person violating this section.
- Littering of water surface, bottom or bank is prohibited.
- Weekend camping only during the summer hours. Camping will be available from Memorial Day to Labor day. No camping when Recreation Area is closed.
- Camping is restricted to designated areas only.
- No reservations; availability based on first come first serve basis. Must have equipment or vehicle in area reserved.
- No firewood gathering.
- No campfires. Fires are restricted to containers provided by the Association in campsites and other locations approved by the ranger..
- Trash must be disposed of in designated containers.
- No littering or burning of trash.
- Dumping of charcoal briquettes in approved containers only.
- No loud noises after 10:00 p.m.
- Juveniles 16 or under must have an adult in attendance. They may camp with a group, which has one (1) adult per six (6) juveniles.
- Campsites are for campers only. If you are picnicking only, the ranger will ask you to move to another area.
- Electrical sites are available on a first come first serve basis. A small fee is charged for the use of the electricity. Currently the charge is $6.00 per day (2pm – 2pm).
- If you camp in an electrical site and do not use the electric, we will still charge you the $6.00 fee. No charge for the non-electric sites.
A bath house is available equipped with showers.
Please help us keep your lake clean and free from vandalism. Report any illegal activity to the bait shop or ranger on duty. Your dues pay for this recreation area and your dues are used to repair or replace areas or items that are misused.
1. All hunting and trapping is prohibited.
- May not be operated off roads.
- Must be licensed.
- Must be operated by a person possessing a valid operator’s license.
- Must obey all Kansas State Motor Vehicle laws.
- May not be operated at speeds in excess of ten (10) miles per hour.
- No high rise (Monster Trucks) vehicles allowed.
Tornado Warnings and Watches
- The following actions will be implemented when a tornado warning is issued for Sedgwick County and the City of Wichita by the National Weather Service; or upon any visual sightings.
- The persons in the Lake Store will:
- Advise all units over the radio that a tornado warning has been issued. The warning will be broadcast as received, along with other information such as location, direction of travel, etc., if known.
- Advise all Recreation Area users that a tornado warning has been issued. Announce by the use of the bullhorns, the following message:
“ATTENTION ALL RECREATION AREA USERS, THIS IS A TORNADO WARNING – STOP ALL ACTIVITY AND MOVE TO THE TORNADO SHELTER IMMEDIATELY!”